GTP trans problem

GTP trans problem

Postby Ferrarif40 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:09 pm

So sadly my Gtp is already down. Funny enough it began while I was on the way to the meet on the 2/27. Anyway, from a dig the car won't go through the gears in drive, I have to manually shift into 1st and slowly work up. Also in between each shift I have to let off the gas to get it in gear. If I give it too much throttle it will start to slip. I just need some ideas on whether I'd a fully tranny rebuild, torque converter or something else. I may have a shop look at it but money is tight so just having them go nuts isn't in the budget so any help would be appreciated.

GTP trans problem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Site Admin

Re: GTP trans problem

Postby ande2286 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:43 am

Sounds more like the torque converter.
06 Trail Blazer SS (not mine)
06 TDi jetta (polluting daily)
72 C10 (the project)

Postby iminhell1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Shift Solenoid/s sounds possible.
Anyway to get codes / are there any codes?
Might just be dirty fluid, cheapest fix. But usually even if new fluid clears it up, the problem will come back or life of the trans will be reduced.

Secondary Admin

Postby The iLaunch Evo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:52 am

Yea start with the fluid change just in case or maybe have a trans shop take it for a drive to see if they can diagnose before you go balls deep in it
Never Bring Show to a Go Fight!

'08 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 -The DD
'03 Mitsubishi Evo 8 -The Race Car
'95 Eclipse GSX -Lost Cause

Universal Theory: "Practice and Tune on the Street, Then Take it to the Track; Race it on the Track, Then Bring it on the Street!"

Postby Ferrarif40 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks for all the input. It does feel like the torque converter letting go but some people say the silanoid fixed their issue. I'm hoping it's not major but either way I picked up some new fluid and a filter to do a flush sometime next week. I'll repost with the results. Afterwards I'll take it to a trans shop. Any suggestions on where to take it so I don't get jerked around, just want to avoid being forced into a new trans if I don't need to.

1st gear

Postby FrostySS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:15 pm

If you have the means to pull it yourself, bring it out to Hofmann Trans. Brooten. (They can pull it too, just way cheaper to pull it yourself)

They rebuild 4t65's all the time, have a solid warranty and far cheaper labor than you will see in the St. cloud area. I used to deliver to them when I worked for Spee Dee, very stand up guys.

Postby iminhell1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Don't know that I've ever seen a converter prevent shifting. Pump seal leaking, yes. But that's due to lack of pressure and live data would be easy to see that.

Like I said, codes will be a real help here. Live data, even better.

Secondary Admin

Postby The iLaunch Evo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:45 pm

There is a trans place behind fleet farm that did colin's BRODOZER he said they did good work

Universal Theory: "Practice and Tune on the Street, Then Take it to the Track; Race it on the Track, Then Bring it on the Street!"

Just about admin

Postby KevinB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 pm

That place is called Automotive Transmission and Drive Lines. They've done many rebuilds for people here including the 300ZX, A8, GTP, amongst others.

Roman is the guy who owns it and is a little quiet but is really good.

Secondary Admin

Postby The iLaunch Evo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:35 am

I just heard from a guy that bought camdens SRT4 use to work for Roman and said he doesn't always the new parts when rebuilding them but charges for it anyways. Who knows just rumors

Return to Tech Help